Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Feminism and Other Thoughts

Politics and the like are not usually topics I willingly bring up or choose to discuss because they usually end in heated arguments and frustration. However, I just read a short interview with best-selling author, Caitlin Moran, in Time magazine's August 20th issue. In the interview she was asked about feminism and said "There are 3 1/2 billion women in the world, so there are 3 1/2 billion ways to be a feminist."

I love that idea.  An original idea is hard to come up with these days so it is reassuring to know that people still possess unique ideas. I've never been big on the whole feminist kick. I often believe feminists go a bit overboard with their ideas, beliefs, and quests; so it's hard for me to get onboard. But there is no getting onboard with this way of thinking because it's your own.

I'm afraid that if I say I don't agree with feminism then it makes me a bad woman because neutrality is most often my position. I like a healthy medium when it comes to things like politics, feminism, religion...all those hot button topics. Generally, both sides have note-worthy opinions and ideas, and the best course of action (in my opinion, of course) is a compromise between the two. People today have such a hard time doing that though. It seems that people have a "my way, no highway" mentality, and it is getting us nowhere fast.

Therefore, the idea that we can be feminists in our own way means that I don't have to jump on the bandwagon. Nor do I have to feel guilty about my lack of overall support for their cause. And, bonus, we get to make the world a little more unique, which is no small feat in today's society.

Peace,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment