Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Feast Your Eyes On This

Charley Harper


An artist who has influenced so many illustrators but remains relatively unknown.


Born August 4th, 1922 and lived until June 10th, 2007.


His agriculturally based upbringing heavily influenced his work.


He married Edie Mckee, and together they had only one child, Brett Harper.


His style is called minimal realism, and he tried to get to the essence of his subject with as few visual elements as possible.


"Wildlife art has been dominate by realism, but I have chosen to do it differently because I think flat, hard-edge, and simple."


He designed pamphlets and covers for the National Parks Service as seen above.


Charley Harper was unknown to me until a friend and fellow classmate did her Senior Seminar research project on Charley Harper and John James Audubon. However, I love his illustrations. The geometric, yet still whimsical quality of his work is the part that I love the most. I hope you enjoy him and his work as well! Here are some links to more info on Charley Harper:
https://charleyharperartstudio.com/
https://www.charleyharperprints.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment